Come explore this in-depth examination of the body’s master control mechanism, the nervous system!
The third volume of the Wonders of the Human Body series is Our nervous system must process vast amounts of information each second, information that comes from all parts of the body. Our nervous system must process vast amounts of information each second, information that comes from all parts of the body. Then nerve signals are sent out in response to those inputs. If this sounds simple, rest assured, it is not. It is all quite extraordinary! But as with all things in our fallen cursed world, things do go wrong. We will also explore the problems that occur when the nervous system is damaged by disease or injury.
In The Nervous System, you will learn about:
- How nerve signals are generated throughout the body
- How these nerve signals are transmitted to and from the brain
- The structure of the brain and how it processes input from the body
- Our senses: sight, hearing, taste, and more
When you see the incredible complexity of the nervous system, you will realize that our bodies cannot be the result of chemical accidents occurring over millions of years. The human body is the greatest creation of an all-knowing Master Designer!
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Structure of Nervous Tissue
- 3. Nerve Signals
- The Resting Membrane Potential
- The Action Potential
- The Synapse
- 4. The Central Nervous System
- The Brain
- The Spinal Cord
- 5. The Peripheral Nervous System
- Cranial Nerves
- Spinal Nerves and Their Distribution
- The Autonomic Nervous System
- 6. Special Senses
Page count: 96