Thousands Not Billions: Challenging an Icon of Evolution
“Evolutionary models for life, earth, and space are questioned today by a significant group of scientists worldwide. They are convinced that the earth and the entire universe are the result of a supernatural creation event which occurred just thousands of years ago, not billions of years.”
- Why do conventional methods for dating rocks differ so radically?
- What does carbon-14 found in diamonds tell us?
- Was there accelerated nuclear decay in earth’s history?
- Are the creation and Flood accounts genuine historic events?
These and many other questions are addressed in Thousands…Not Billions. This book summarizes eight years of research by the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) and a team of scientists, whose goal was to explore the age of the earth from a biblical perspective. The project title was Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth, or RATE.
The age of the earth is one of the most divisive topics today, much debated by scholars and laypersons alike. What one believes about the age of the earth goes a long way in determining world views. The Bible is explicit that the earth is young, but many people feel that science has proved our planet is more than four billion year old. Thousands…Not Billions provides a compelling challenge to Darwinian evolution.
The chief complaint against this book seems to be “…This book is another example of TRUE scientific theory mixed with UNTESTED hypothetical ideas (somewhat like “bait and switch”). The end result is that the author claims to prove his ideas when in fact the untested hypotheses are still untested.”
I would say the same for evolutionary theory since TRUE SCIENTIFIC METHODS CANNOT BE APPLIED IN BOTH CASES. No human being was there during creation or evolutionary beginnings to observe the actual event, so we cannot test and observe either hypothesis. To me, the biggest issue here is not which is the more accurate theory. But rather, both positions cannot be solved scientifically and that it takes a measure of FAITH & a healthy dose of WORLDVIEW to believe which ever side you believe. The author of this book casts significant doubt on the VALIDITY of old earth age radioisotope dating methods which he purports to be the “lynchpin” of old earth views.
* The RATE Project tested coal beds throughout North America. They requested & received coal samples from the US Geological Dept. They received coal from the top of the coal bed and the bottom of the coal bed over many sites. You know what they found? The coal samples had the “same” (same within the sample statistics) C14 levels whether it was on the top or bottom.
* Also, they tested diamonds from nearly 100 miles within the earth. And you know what? They also had C14 in them. Diamonds are supposed to be billions of years old, one of the first minerals formed when the earth “evolved” 3.5 billion years ago; yet they have C14 in them. We have NO instrument that can measure C14 levels past 100,000 years.
* They observed that most of known fossils are found within one layer of sediment (which implies a quick, catastrophic event, a.k.a. flood)
* They discuss helium diffusion within zircons. These zircons mean something very important to geologists. And I admit, this was a little over my head since I have not taken the time to study these. But suffice it to say, the amount of helium still in rocks indicates a “younger” earth.
* They discuss all the forms of radioisotope dating and show how worldview “taints” the “scientific” principles that govern them. Also, many assume a steady state of radioactive decay, however, there is compelling evidence that shows the steady state theory is not accurate. That there may have been accelerated decay in the past and it has been slowing down (which I think aligns nicely to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics).
To me, these are the most important issues this book addresses.
This book explains how scientific data fits the young earth recorded in the Bible, not billions of years of mindless evolution. What is observable, repeatable and testable? That is science. What is not observable, repeatable and testable is not science. Your interpretation of real scientific data depends on your starting point, not your ending point. If you start with faith in God’s Word, you end up with a young earth. If you start with faith in the “theory” of evolution, you end up with billions of years of mysterious science. Great Book. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking the truth about our world.